Canadian Certified Pedorthists separate shoes into 2 main categories:
- Occasional shoes are shoes that people will only wear a few times, to a party or an event, so the evaluation process is not as crucial for these shoes.
- Functional shoes are the shoes people wear everyday, for work and play, as part of their active lifestyles. Because these shoes provide feet and legs with support for the majority of the day, the selection process is very important to maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle.
In selecting Functional shoes, it is important to carefully consider the fit and function of shoes to ensure they will provide you with maximum support. This is important for all age groups:
- children whose feet are developing,
- adults who spend hours on their feet and often suffer from foot and leg discomfort unaware it’s caused by improper footwear, and
- senior citizens – where studies have shown that improper footwear is one of the leading causes of falls.